Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Setsuden Building Standards

Today I spent my time exploring some parts of Tokyo and getting a feel for the city. Since coming here, I haven't really noticed anything that different than Osaka/ Kyoto region in terms of energy conservation.

For instance, stores have their heat blasting, all the lights are on, and the elevators and escalators are all up and running. It is apparent that the extreme energy conservation measures enacted by Tokyo this summer no longer apply.

The only advertisement for setsuden that I have noticed was on a subway door. It said something like 「節電中」. Interestingly, everything on the train looked normal, and so I'm not so sure what kind of energy conservation was taking place. It is a bit depressing to see that Tokyo has converted back to a massively energy-centered society. Hopefully by doing interviews, I'll find at least one individual that is still being influenced by this summer's setsuden movement.

I haven't had a chance to interview many people. I asked a worker at the paper goods store, Itoya, for an interview, but he declined. I also asked a Japanese girl staying in my room what she experienced in Tokyo this summer regarding setsuden, and she basically said it was "hot." She was only here for three days, but she noticed that the airports, trains, and hotels weren't air conditioned and advised against turning on the air conditioning. I can't imagine keeping that up as a lifestyle. It would be ridiculous and even dangerous to ask people to live without air conditioning forever, but there are ways to reduce the amount of cooling/ heating necessary in commercial buildings and houses.

While I was walking around Tokyo I took note of the architecture of some commercial buildings. Many of them have large windows that allow for the exchange of heat. Furthermore, it was extremely apparent that many large businesses overheat their stores. I think it would be smart to regulate internal air temperature more efficiently.

More Insulation! - Japan needs to set standards for energy efficient building materials!

Itoya, like other businesses, has many windows on each floor

Ironically I found that Muji, which is know for its "design minimalism, emphasis on recycling, avoidance of waste in production and packaging, and no-logo or 'no name policy,'" was extremely overheated. It is a really interesting store, though. Like the Japanese version of Ikea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment